Tuesday 30 August 2011

Dahlias and foraminifera

A leisurely Bank Holiday Monday as Mrs T and I drove to Anglesey Abbey for an afternoon walk and a photo-session with the Dahlias. The sun shone wanly through the high cloud and breaks, making the over-large blooms glow. My favourites were the varieties with a more raggedy appearance.

In the evening I pulled out the larger microscope and looked at the box from the Postal Microscopy Society that was due for posting at the end of the month. It was a mixed box put together by Mr Darnton, containing soundings from the RRS Disovery and HMS Challenger, from the Norman Bequest. I enjoyed looking at the foraminifera using crossed polars as they revealed the black cross pattern on a light background usually seen with starch grains. There was also a strew of multihued spicules, which looked equally attractive, whether under transmitted illumination or crossed polars.

Although past midnight when I finished, I was tempted to go online and do some last minute research on photography and photography restrictions in Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google