Sunday 27 March 2011

A day of one and two dimensional codes, and a Japanese Tsunami

Mr McArthur's book, Ka Sefofane (By Aeroplane) is nearing completion and required the transmogrification of a human readable International Standard Book Number (ISBN) into a machine readable bar code.

My graphics software permitted the generation of the old 9 digit code, but I required the newer 13 digit conversion. I was in danger of removing the last of my hair from my already depleted scalp, till I discovered the publication online "ISBN for Dummies". My problem was resolved in an instant as I was informed that the 13 digit ISBN barcode is actually an EAN (originally "European Article Number", now International Article Number  but with the old abbreviation retained). This my graphics program could produce with alacrity. Hurrah!

The afternoon was still concerned with design, namely two banners for the Huntingdonshire Business Network. One was completed readily enough and the second provided entertainment as I tried another sort of code.

We at HBN have adopted the use of the two dimensional QR codes as a tool for linking a printed code to a digital link - to an internet site or to provide an address to a mobile phone. 

My time was taken up with using a large QR code directing viewers to the HBN website. The challenge was to embed 12 company QR codes into the pattern of the larger. Seen from a distance, the mobile device could recognise the link to HBN, close up, the mobile could pursue the individual company links. The challenge.

This task took several hours but had a most satisfactory outcome and can be viewed here. The image is within a larger album which also includes instructions on how to obtain the application for one's own mobile device.

The evening's news included an item about a new impending Tsunami of the coast of Japan, but with little initial information. A search immediately revealed the extremely useful site Tsunami Warnings/Advisories from the Japan Meteorological Agency. Here I discovered that the earthquake was shallow and of a 6.5 magnitude according to the Richter scale, with a 0.5m Tsunami expected by 7:50 am Japanese Time, circa half an hour ahead of my search time. Fortunately the deadline passed without negative consequences to the already battered coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Google